Diet rants

When I was a little girl my diet consisted mainly of things like processed cheese slices and hot dogs on white bread, ice-cream by the bowlfuls, frozen pizza dipped in cupfuls of ranch, and Kids Cuisine and Banquet TV dinners. With every meal a can of Coke or a tall glass of Kool-Aid was always on the table in front of me. I wouldn't drink anything else. It may come as a shock to know that I was downing Pepsi when I was only six years old. And when I was four I was drinking grape Kool-Aid out of a baby bottle. No joke. Sugar was my addiction, and water just didn't taste good to me.

 My mother cooked homemade meals for us every night until she became ill with hyperthyroidism and Grave's disease, an autoimmune disease that hit her in her late 40's. Even then the homemade meals we had were ladled with bacon grease and flour. Being Texan meant eating good cookin' that tickled the taste buds. Know what I'm saying?

But what I want to know is, why is it that some people can eat crud their whole life yet live a full and long life without disease? The consequences of my poor diet, high in refined carbs and sugar, led me to being diagnosed with a 1.1cm prolactinoma at the age of 22 (possibly began developing when I was 12 years old), and now possibly sick with an autoimmune disease just like my mother. I never smoked a single cigarette, got drunk, or done anything unhealthy to get sick. It just happened as a result of years of silently assaulting my body by eating too much bad food and not enough good food.

I think people need to wake up and start being more aware of the nutrition labels on the back of those cracker and TV dinner boxes. Read the ingredients: is this really something you want to put into your body? Do you believe this will really provide your body with the fuel it needs to sustain you, or will it grease you down, rendering you unable to flourish? Do the math, it's simple. Anything that looks like it belongs on the Periodic Table of Elements is not something that needs to go down your cake-hole. I understand most of the processed foods are cheaply available and that is why most people eat them, but there are a lot of other cheaply available foods that will not harm your body. Foods like rice and beans are affordable, and for the price of three bags of rice (equal to a standard TV dinner) you get much more and can eat on it throughout the week and create different meals with it. Whereas with a single TV dinner for $2.97 you only consume it one time and it does not last a whole week.

Canned veggies are cheap, too. I can get a can of peas at my local Walmart for a measly $0.68. Of course fresh veggies are optimal, you don't have to eat fresh all the time if you cannot afford it. I can't afford it, so canned veggies are how I get most of my vegetable intake in. A bag of pre-cut baby spinach costs about $2.98 at my local store, and I use that to make my green smoothies. It lasts me about a week if I drink one smoothie per day.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On depression and losing the magic you once had.

10/5/2022